The room where Wilhelm and his men died.
|Game||Amnesia: The Dark Descent|
|Objective||Gather the chemicals.|
- "What's happening? It feels... like... my chest is going... to burst!"
- ―One of Wilhelm's men after drinking the poisonous wine
The Wine Cellar is an area of Brennenburg Castle that can be accessed off the Entrance Hall, after the Wine Cellar key has been obtained from the Archives. Daniel needs to pick up four chemicals here and take them back to the Laboratory, to use in the creation of an acid.
The Wine Cellar is a very dark and gloomy place. Only a few small windows that let the natural daylight in can be found.
A note in the Laboratory tells you to find the compounds for the acidic solution in this section of the castle. The chemicals for the acid are:
- Aqua Regia
One room has a door to the left that when entered, is beat on savagely, and screams of a man are heard. After these events, the room is accessible.
The room with the blood on the floor and the flashback occurrence holds a note and a flashback that will explain the possible place of origin of the Gatherers, or some of them. Wilhelm and his men died in the room because of the tainted wine offered by Alexander, which made their bodies burst, leaving them miserably deformed. Since there are pieces of flesh on the floor, this event has a possible explanation that it wasn't too long ago that it happened in the game. In the flashback to this room, two of Wilhelm's men are drinking the wine that was left by the baron. One of his men challenges Wilhelm, who says that they aren't getting out alive. The second man then demands that Alexander comes down, but never gets the chance as he starts hacking violently. This is possibly the start of the transformation.
This is one of the first chambers where you encounter a Servant Grunt. Its appearance is triggered by picking up a bottle of Laudanum in the same room where you find the Orpiment. It will not attack you and leaves quickly after spawning.
When Daniel obtains the Calamine, the Shadow roars and causes an earthquake. The room in which Daniel currently is starts to collapse. Debris blocks the door and a barrel falls from above, knocking him unconscious. When Daniel recovers and clears the rubble to the exit, he regains a bit of sanity. Like its Laboratory counterpart, the Wine Cellar is in a state of ruin. In one of the rooms, a part of the ceiling beams (where some barrels are stored) will fall apart, trapping the player, who will have to remove the debris in order to exit.
There is also the noise of a Brute heard in one of the rooms, like in the Archives. When attempting to open a locked door, the sound of a Brute can be heard, as well as glass shattering from behind. When finding the alternate entrance to this room, rocks will fall from a hole in the ceiling, suggesting the Brute has climed up this area. Daniel will lose sanity from this event.
- In the area you see the Grunt walk off to after you pick up the Laudanum, a pair of tinderboxes can be found.
- Further ahead in that same area, near the blocked-off door, another one can be found on a shelf, and on the immediate other side of that wall, on a bookshelf, yet another one can be found.
- Near the Orpiment.
- In the room with the Calamine, two tinderboxes can be found.
- In a chest in the room with Wilhelm's note and the Aqua Regia.
- In a corner on a shelf.
- There is actually a second laudanum and extra tinderbox that could have been found in a chest in this map. Only seen in the Level Editor, an "invisible" chest can be found on top of a shelf in the room with the Calamine. This chest has been set a "ghost" item, as the box that says "Active" is missing a check mark.
- When approaching the Wine Cellar, one can see the words Cella Vinaria ('wine cellar' in Latin) inscribed above the door.
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Guest Room • Study • Storage • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Chancel • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|