The hallway in the Study.
|Game||Amnesia: The Dark Descent|
|Objective||Obtain the Flow Cycle Rod.|
- "Ugh… what a mess. I should have sharpened the saw. But I can sense it. It’s definitely there."
- ―Alexander after killing a dog during his experiments on extracting Vitae from animals.
Reached from the Back Hall, the Study is an area of Brennenburg Castle designed for research, study, and tutoring. It is a very gloomy place, but also one of the few areas that contain clear windows, and is also the only area where Daniel goes outside the castle. The study is where Alexander performed anatomical studies and experiments on animals to extract vitae. This is observed in a flashback when Alexander is heard sawing open a dog. In the end, he gave up his study on animals to focus on humans, as dogs didn't produce sufficient amounts of vitae. Occasionally, the miserable barking of a dog can be heard. On low sanity, the portrait of Alexander will appear horribly disfigured.
The cycle flow control rod for the Machine Room is kept in the study. Unfortunately, a cave-in has blocked the room with the rod, so Daniel must break the weakened window on the far left and hop along the edge of the building to get there. The Shadow, aware of him, will immediately overtake the nearby forest and consume the area, felling pine trees and frightening Daniel. In this remote section of the Study, one of Alexander's memory capsules can be found. On low sanity in this room, three sides of meat can be seen hanging in the dark corner over the fallen bookshelf.
- Two tinderboxes can be found in the room to your immediate right as you enter the Study.
- One tinderbox can be found in the back room, the one with Alexander's portrait in it.
- Another one can be found on the outside awning, after you break open the cracked window.
- Two more tinderboxes can be found in a chest at the small area adjacent to the room where you pick up the rod.
- An oil container can be found next to the cracked window.
In an earlier version of the game, there was a phonograph in one of the rooms, containing a recording of a woman accusing Daniel of killing her, but also offering him redemption in exchange for answers. As of version 1.2 with Justine completed, the phonograph isn't present.
- Whenever Daniel is near or in the dissecting room, he can faintly hear the sounds of dogs whimpering or crying. These sounds are possibly residual hauntings of the dogs that were killed by Alexander during his experiments in search of vitae.
- There are skulls in the closet in the inner room behind the dissecting room where Alexander tortured the dogs. They will roll out of the closet when it's opened, and will lower Daniel's sanity.
- All the skulls found in Brennenburg are missing their lower jaws, like Agrippa is missing his. If there are more people who have gotten their jaws sawed off, or if someone had simply removed the lower jaws from the skulls, is unknown. But it would be pointless to rip off the jaw of a skull. It could be possible that Alexander and his servants (or Daniel) sawed the jaw off a living person, in order to get vitae.
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Guest Room • Study • Storage • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Chancel • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|