A room in the Refinery.
|Game||Amnesia: The Dark Descent|
|Objective||Reach the Cellar Archives.|
|Danger rating||Low Risk.|
- "Pay attention, Daniel. It’s important that you keep going straight and make sure not to stray."
- ―Alexander when Daniel asks about the darkness in the Refinery.
The Refinery is a room in Brennenburg Castle that can be accessed from the Entrance Hall. It was featured in the Demo, as the second of the three areas included. It is the seventh area explored in the game and the last accessible from the Entrance Hall.
To enter the Refinery, you must find the ingredients for the acid, and pour it on the organic residue preventing you from entering, dissolving the tissue and making the area accessible. The Refinery is also the first area with a potentially dangerous encounter with a gatherer. It won't chase Daniel unless he quickly runs in front of it, and in this regard may be treated like the sighting in the Wine Cellar. In the demo, it doesn't attack at all, as it will vanish if the player chooses to run directly for it.
This area is cloaked in darkness. The Shadow has forced its way into this area under the castle, causing massive holes with organic matter inside to develop above. Fleshy residue can be found in random places in every room. Watch your step - touching it will cause Daniel to take damage. There are six rooms to be explored after the room with the Servant Grunt and the barrels. Things such as tinderboxes, oil, diary entries, Laudanum, and Notes can be found in these rooms. Daniel will experience several unsettling events here, such as hallucinating a Gatherer trying to break down a door, or the Shadow blowing open a door with a roar.
The door to the furthermost room in the Refinery is blocked from the inside. Luckily, there's a small hole in the wall behind some boxes, just large enough for Daniel to crawl through. Inside, a large hatch can be found. To open it, you must first remove the stick clogging the opening mechanism by throwing an object on it or removing it by hand.
- There are two tinderboxes in a tiny room to your left after entering the area you see the Grunt in.
- There is also two more tinderboxes in the other room to your right, where a part of Daniel's diary can be found.
- In a small room just ahead of the room mentioned above.
- In the large room with the table, a tinderbox can be found close to the hole in the wall.
- At least three tinderboxes can be found in the room with the trapdoor and the crank.
- An oil container can be found in the room to your left as you enter the room where you see the Grunt.
- Near a piece of Daniel's diary in a tiny room.
- The primary purpose of the Refinery seems to be distillation of alcohol. However, an installation for these purposes would be called a distillery, whereas a refinery would be a facility where substances such as oils and natural gases are processed and refined. This misnomer is explained by Thomas Grip, one of the lead developers of the game, in a commentary node found at the beginning of the level.
- The Servant Grunt that spawns in the refinery will only attack if you run up to it, and as such, is very easy to avoid.
- This area is featured in the trailer of the game, "Lost in the Dark".
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Guest Room • Study • Storage • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Chancel • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|