A hall in the mansion.
|Game||Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs|
|Location||Mandus Processing Company|
|Objective||Find your kids.|
|Map|| Mansion 1 (Waking the Doll's House)
Mansion 2 (In Lily's Honour: A Banquet)
Oswald's Mansion is the living quarters of main character Oswald Mandus and the first two areas (1st and 2nd) in the game.
The mansion is rather large, with spacious foyers and halls. It also features many rooms, most of which are inaccessible due to intricate locks.
Waking the Doll's HouseEdit
- "Daddy, daddy!"
- Edwin and Enoch before Oswald awakes.
This is the first area of the game. This has Oswald's bedroom in it, where he wakes up at the start of the game to find his children. Besides his room, Lily's room can be found, as well as Edwin and Enoch 's room, and the attic that can be reached by pulling a rope in the ceiling. It is up here you find the lantern. After you pick up the lantern, follow the children until you see a large room with paintings on the wall. Descend the staircase to find the first phonograph.
The mansion also features a system of hidden passages and corridors which offer a view on the rooms through numerous paintings which turn out to be a sort of one-way looking glass. The first one of these can be found in Oswald's office, by using a hidden lever disguised as a rifle. Follow the hidden passage until you see a lever on the wall, pull it down to reveal a hidden door.
The bedrooms feature beds which are closed like cages, this and locks on doors and furniture could be a safety measure against the Manpigs if some should wander into the mansion.
- June 24th 1899 - This note can be found in the room you wake up in.
- Edwin and Enoch's diary, October 11th 1899 - This note can be found in a small crawlspace in the wall in the same room where you pick up the lantern
- February 14th 1899 - This note is found inside a desk in the nanny's bedroom, the bedroom right beside Enoch and Edwin's room.
- November 7th 1898 - Can be found in the desk in Oswald's office.
- Clockwork and the Soul - Use the rifle in Oswald's office to open the hidden path. Enter the path and take the first left. This note is stapled onto the wall near the window.
In Lily's Honour, a BanquetEdit
- "I am off to market. I will cry all the way home. I will have none, I will have none at all."
- -Oswald Mandus
This is the second area of the game. As you approach the staircase leading to the front door, you will hear a Manpig howling, though it is not encountered at all. Descend the stairs and you'll hear Mandus' children calling you, and then a small tremor which causes the chandeliers to swing a bit.
This part of the mansion is semi-integrated into the facility which is evidenced by numerous hidden sections leading to a number of machine rooms and also by the strong tremors caused by the Machine below. The machinery are hidden behind objects such as the Grizzly Bear at the trophy room, and the bathtub in the guest bathroom. The bear can be moved aside to open the hidden room, while the hidden room behind the bathtub can be opened by using a lever hidden behind a painting.
The mansion also sports a spacious courtyard which offers access to the streets and some parts of the machinery. This is the first part of the game where you have a chance to spot a Manpig, although the encounter is purely visual as it can not hurt you.
This area leads to the Cellar, which can be fully accessed once the machines are all turned on.
- Edwin and Enoch's diary, October 3rd 1899 - Keep heading straight at the start of the level until you see a small table to your right. The note is on the table.
- Dieses Herz - Head downstairs and into the banquet hall on your left. This note can be found on the music stand near the grand piano.
- December 20th 1899 - Head back outside, and into the game room on the opposite side of the banquet hall. Then, go through the door on the left inside the room and head down the corridor. The note is on a chest of drawers on the right side at the end of the hallway.
- Old Sallie i' the Doll's Cottager - The bedroom at the end of the hallway can be opened by turning a valve hidden in a secret compartment that can be accessed through the bathroom. Once you've opened the bedroom, head inside. The note is in a drawer in the dressing table.
Found in a room full with paintings on the wall.
Mandus- "You don't mind if I record this, do you? I find it most useful."
Professor A- "Ah, you have one of those wonderful de Martinville's? No, of course not, my dear fellow."
Mandus - "It's my own design, Professor, along with everything you see."
Professor A - "Most useful. You understand, of course, why the Ministry sent me? That they have concerns?"
Found sitting on the parlor table.
Professor A - "I must say my dear man, you look awful."
Mandus - "Yes, I seem to have picked up something rather nasty in Mexico."
Professor A - "I do understand. What you have been through... a lesser man would have crumbled. Yet you have made all of this. Your great factory, your charities, it is a wonder. For one man alone..."
Mandus - "It will all be made clear Professor. But first, a drink?"
- If one were to leave the attic area without the lantern, it can be found again in different areas later in the game.
- There are two phonographs that can be found in Mansion 1, in the Grande Hall, and in Mansion 2, on the parlor table.
- There are at least two shields, one depicting the exact same black eagle as those found on Brennenburg Castle shields, this implies that Oswald might have some sort of connection with the Order of the Black Eagle, just like Alexander had.
- Observe the room Oswald wakes up in. It has a vanity desk and dividing screen with decorative furniture. The room next door that contains Lily's flashback is a bit simpler in design. It is possible that Oswald fell asleep in Lily's old bedroom, and the flashback is a result of her giving birth to the twins in his own room.
- The caged beds are to trap guests who attend Oswald's parties, usually the rich. Once guests are drunk, drugged, and brought upstairs to their rooms, the cage springs and the bed tilts up to send them hurdling into the machine for sacrifice.
- When observing Enoch and Edwin's room in the attic, the room with the cribs, the door will slam shut behind Oswald if the lantern were on. However, if the lantern was not in use, the door will not behave this way. Whether this was a glitch or intended is unknown.
- When inspecting the small guestroom in the area with the hatch, Mandus will hear strange noises that appear to be wood work collapsing. A locked door in the hallway will then disappear as if it were never there. This is obviously a scripted event, and the cause of this is unknown. A possible explanation could be Mandus's mind hallucinating events.
- In the room with the first phonograph, a clock can be heard ringing after the strange machine noise and shaking. It rings out precisely ten times, which would place the beginning of Mandus's journey (and the game) a little before 10:00pm-31st December, 1899.
|Locations of A Machine for Pigs|
|Mandus Processing Company locations||Mansion • Cellar • Alley • Church • Factory • Tunnels • Sewers • Bilge • Reactor • Engine • Streets • Pigline • Tesla • Temple|
|Other locations||London • Mexico • The Temple of the Stone Moon • Decontamination Chambers|