- "Daniel? Like the prophet thrown into the lion's den? Tell me – are you among the lions, Daniel?"
- ― Agrippa after being saved by Daniel
The Nave is the the first area of the dungeons surrounding the Inner Sanctum, the game's twenty-second area and the fourth and final Hub level.
The Nave is the section of the castle reached upon escaping the Sewers by ladder. The ladder breaks and falls apart during the ascent, making it impossible to go back down. It is in this area Daniel first encounters Agrippa, and learns what has to be done to gain entry to the Inner Sanctum.
Several other areas can be accessed from the Nave:
There is also a passageway leading to the Cells but Daniel cannot access it just yet. He will be locked up in this area later on after being ambushed by the Gatherers. When the Shadow chases him back to the Nave, the door will not budge thereafter.
The Nave itself has many rooms and items, and is by far the largest Hub. Some items only appear after Daniel has made progress in the other areas of the castle. The upper levels of the Nave feature a small laboratory and house the machinery that operates the large doors to the Transept and Choir in the lower areas. To reach the chamber where Agrippa is Daniel must descend a long, dark, winding spiral stairway. There are also many spiders to be found here when Daniel is low on sanity. It is inadvisable to light all the torches here even though Daniel has to venture back to open the doors, for it is a large area that would waste many tinderboxes, and the torches get completely destroyed by the Shadow later. Between Agrippa's chamber and the Chancel are a number of cells, presumably for holding prisoners before they were tortured in the other rooms.
There are actually two versions of the Nave. Towards the end of the game, after you've escaped from the cells, the Shadow overwhelms the Nave and causes many areas to collapse, however it also opens up a hidden area where a bone saw can be found to saw off Agrippa's head. This broken down version of the Nave is in the game files called Nave Redux and contains new collectibles, new scenery, and new locations.
Entries under "Nave: Redux" can only be obtained on the return trip to the Nave, after you've escaped from the Cells, and entries without it can only be obtained on the first visit to the Nave, before you've gathered all the Orb pieces and entered the Chancel.
- Behind the well at the very start of the level. (113)
- On the floor of the small blocked-off corridor to the right of the well.(114)
- On a table in the room with all the levers that can be entered through the door to the left of the well.(115)
- Head down the large spiral staircase and check underneath it. One tinderbox can be found on the floor near a rope, and two more can be found further in on a box.(116, 117 & 118)
- In the corridor leading the the Choir - Entrance, there is a side room to the left. In this side room, a tinderbox can be found in a desk, and another can be found in a bookshelf.(119 & 120)
- In the large cell area right before the chancel a tinderbox can be found on a shelf to your immediate left as you enter the room.(121)
- In a corner of the first cell on the right on the bottom floor.(122)
- In the top-right cell on the second floor, another tinderbox can be found.(123)
- There is a large oil barrel in the room with the two levers.
- One oil container can be found beneath the hatch in the ceiling, close to Agrippa.
- In a small room you pass by walking towards the Choir Entrance.
- Daniel's Diary - Ritual - The single entry is found at the start of the level in the room with the levers.
- Agrippa Channels Weyer - Can be found on a desk in the small side-room that can be reached right before the Choir - Entrance.
- A memory capsule can be found in the same room.
- On a table to the left in the room with the well you get to after you get out of the cells, next to a diary entry. (145)
- On the well in the next room, the same well from which you first entered the Nave the first time around. (146)
- Through the door to the left of the well, on the ground next to some rubble. (147)
- After descending the spiral staircase and entered the corridor, go right into the newly opened laboratory. In here, a tinderbox can be found on a bookshelf. (148)
- On the floor at the entrance to another newly created room to the left of Agrippa - The room where you find the bone saw.(149)
- On a table ahead of you as you exit the Cells.
- In the top left cell of the left wall of the chambers in the Nave.
- On the ground on the top floor of the right wall of the chambers in the Nave.
- In the small newly-formed room next to Agrippa.
- After the Shadow nearly takes over the Nave, the screen will slowly tilt left and right, as in the Rainy Hall.
- There are two maps representing this area in total; The first you encounter is the map after the Sewers which shows the Nave in a particularly good condition, and the second map is the one you encounter after getting back from the Cells, the second map shows the Nave mostly ruined by the Shadow.
- Investigating every prison cell in the Nave and leaving the doors open causes them to all suddenly close shut upon looking at the final room. The doors will then rupture as though being banged on while you hear people screaming. (Confirm this is not just a cause of a single door.)
- There is a wall just outside the laboratory room with a glitchy texture. If you throw an object to this wall, the object will instead be absorbed into said wall and disappear. Note that this glitch only happens after you return from the Cells.
- In cathedral architecture, the nave is where the non-clergy churchgoers sit. Considering the presence of the cells with the pipes leading to the Choir and the purpose of that room, it truly fits the name.
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Storage • Guest Room • Study • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Chancel • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|