In reality, Laudanum, also known as Tincture of Opium, is an alcoholic herbal preparation containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight (the equivalent of 1% morphine). A potent narcotic by virtue of its high morphine concentration, laudanum was historically used to treat a variety of ailments, but its principal use was as an analgesic and cough suppressant.
During the time in which the events in the Amnesia games occur, it was very common for people to use it for treating pain and wounds, so it seems very logical to include them as healing items.
A laudanum heals Daniel by 25% of his health, or one health level.
*All is good *A few cuts and bruises *A wound is bleeding quite badly *Barely conscious
There are a total of 16 Laudanum potions that can be found through the game. This is enough to heal Daniel to full health four times, but it would not seem normal for the player to use four Laudanum bottles in a row due to the fact that doing this without wasting health points would require the character to be at zero health, which is impossible due to the fact that your character should be "dead." This changes the fact that your player can be healed from "Barely conscious" 5 times total.
There is a laudanum found on the Level Editor on the Wine Cellar map that can only be seen in the editor, but not in game.
Sorted by order of appearance.
- In a corner on a shelf. (1)
- In the room with the Calamine in it, there is another Laudanum in a chest. After you pick up the Calamine and are temporarily incapacitated, stack boxes to get up on the higher shelf that the barrel fell from. You should see the very chest with the Laudanum in there. (Not sure if this is true; seen in Level Editor, but not in real game) (2?)
- Near a piece of Daniel's diary in a tiny room. (2)
- In the back of a small room filled with bookshelves. (3)
- In a chest in the small room adjacent to the room with the explosive liquids. (4)
- In a chest located in the small room you get to after blowing up the rocks blocking your path, hidden behind a bunch of barrels. (5)
- In a desk. (6)
- (Southern Block) In a small dead-end blocked by rocks next to a tinderbox. (7)
- (Northern Block) In a corner of the kitchen. (8)
- In the room where you find the copper tube. (9)
- In a desk in the room with the dead body that you need to inject blood from. (10)
- In the tiny room with the Grunt that has been ripped to pieces. (11)
- Hidden behind a bunch of rocks as you sneak up on the stationary Brute, blocking the way to the Nave. (12)
- In a small room you pass by walking towards the Choir Entrance. (13)
- In the small room next to Agrippa. * (16)
- *These can only be found after you return to the Nave for the second time, after escaping from the Cells
- In the room with the iron maiden. (14)