- "Look out for Justine, that demon. She may still be close."
- ― Father David
Father David is obviously, given his name, a priest. He's encountered when Justine enters the library. He is not seen in person, but he is heard through a vent in a wall. His depiction can seen on a painting in the same room, which shows Father David being bound to a table, completely naked. The wall where David is heard has a lever and two slots where the slides can be inserted.
The lever must be pulled to access the next part of the game/tests. If the lever is pulled with the incorrect or no slides inserted, Father David will be heard being brutally ripped apart. If the lever is pulled with Slide #4 on the top slot, and Slide #3 on the bottom one, Father David will be released unharmed, thanking the player. However, if they are placed in reverse, David asks for mercy. (This can only be done twice, as the third attempt is fatal)
The test here, is to see if the player has good memory skills from reading Justine's notes to sort the cards conveying moods/emotions in the correct order while ignoring cards that would otherwise spell the priest's doom.
In a phonograph message, Justine states that Father David "probably wasn't all that well liked."
- "Who are you?! Who's there?"
- "And he shall reign omnipotent, for ever and ever."
- "Look out for Justine, that demon, she may still be close."
- See Quotes: Hector David for a full list.
- His first name, Hector, is never said or seen in the game. It is only visible on sound files inside the game's install directory.
- It is very likely that the painting of Father David exists to remind Justine who the hostage is, since Father David is never actually seen in person.
- Father David thanks the player if released and warns to watch out for that "demon" Justine, not realizing it is Justine with temporarily-induced amnesia who just unshackled him. The priest knows from his abduction and torture that Justine is incapable of empathy or compassion.
- After exiting this area of the game, the next phonograph recording has Justine whimsically state that Father David will not be missed regardless if the player saved him or not. He has no family to mourn him, and he was unpopular with the "current political climate". The game is referring to real-world events of the past Roman Catholicism turmoil within the Second French Empire, and the Second Italian War of Independence.
|Main characters||Justine Florbelle|
|Antagonists||Aloïs Racine • Basile Giroux • Malo de Vigny|
|Side characters||Victor Fournier • Hector David • Felix Marot • Clarice • Monsieur Florbelle • Madame Florbelle • Herbert • Daniel|