Frictional Games, Inc. is a small, independent video game company led by Thomas Grip and James Nilsson.
Frictional Games is located in Helsingborg, Sweden and specializes in the survival horror genre. They are the creators of the highly successful horror series Penumbra and Amnesia . All of their titles use their in-house game engine HPL .
Their first commercially released video game was Penumbra: Overture in 2007. Penumbra itself was originally a tech demo created in 2006, designed to show off the technology of the HPL engine.
Penumbra: Overture was followed by its sequel Penumbra: Black Plague in 2008, and then later in 2008 they released an expansion for Black Plague called Penumbra: Requiem.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is Frictional Games' fourth game. It was released in 2010 and introduces the second version of their HPL engine. It recieved highly positive reviews, and John Walker of Rock, Paper, Shotgun has said that he finds Amnesia to be "The most successfully frigtening game to have been made."
On April 12, 2011 Frictional Games released an extra free level for owners of the Steam version of Amnesia. "Justine " was released to promote the upcoming release of Portal 2. On the eighteenth of April they joined VALVe to celebrate the release of Portal 2 .
- Penumbra (Tech Demo) (Non-commercial and free to play) (2006) - Windows
- Penumbra: Overture (2007) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
- Penumbra: Black Plague (2008) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
- Penumbra: Requiem (2008) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2010) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
- Amnesia: Justine (2011) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
- Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (2013) - Windows, MAC OS X, Linux
They are currently developing the third version of the HPL Engine, along with Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs.