The possible tomb of Justine's mother inside the Crypt.
|Location||Cabinet of Perturbation|
|Objective||Reach the final room.|
The main room of the Crypt contains numerous uncovered graves and bodies, along with a statue, which likely sits upon the grave of Justine's mother.
The rest of the Crypt is made up of winding tunnels that are covered in messages written in blood. After leaving the tunnels, the player enters a room with a dead body hanging from the ceiling. The body has a phonograph-like tube protruding its mouth.
Once you have listened to the final phonograph, the walls will start to cave in on the player. There is simply nothing to be done at this point, and your main goal is to allow time to pass. After some time, your character will faint as the walls close in. A few moments later she wakes up, congratulating herself. The mysterious character you are put in control of is actually Justine, who wakes up congratulating herself.
Depending on the amount of hostages you have saved, you will have alternate endings. If you have saved all three hostages, they can be heard thanking you from behind the door. If you have saved only two or one hostages, they can be heard begging you to open the door. If you have killed all of the hostages, you will hear the voices of the suitors. Regardless of what ending you choose, your character will lock the door behind them, and again after you exit the next door. The player then walks up the stairs as she is speaking to Clarice, the maid about dinner.
- Unfinished Letter - The final note can be found on the left side of the first area of the Crypt, on a pile of dirt next to the dug-up grave.
These are the messages that can be found while walking through the Crypt:
- "We must hurry it's not too late"
- "What will that perfect sphere bring"
- "It will be the end of everything"
- "Climb the highest tower"
- "Stay alive"
- "Suffer the trial"
- "The pipers will call for us to dance"
- "Spin the wheels crank the engine"
- "Through the gates"
- "Oh father"
- "From beyond it comes"
- "They who burrow waits beneath"
- "The skinless one is waking"
- "Death shall move across the floor"
- "Liar! Alios does too use dust as a sore muse"
- "It will be again, is coming"
- "The beautiful pain"
- "Entertain me"
- "The inside"
- "It pleases me"
- "From within"
- "My darlings"
- "I am emerging"
- "The tattered yellow king shall dethrone"
- "Plummet through the ancient city"
Monsieur Florbelle's MemoriesEdit
If Justine reaches out and touches the grave headstone or statue in the Crypt, a white screen emerges showing her father's memories, very similar to how Alexander's Memory Capsules worked from The Dark Descent.
If Justine touches the grave of whom we assume can only be her father's, as the unfinished letter to Herbert lies next to it, this screen appears:
"It all made sense, he thought, we all appreciate symmetry. Everyone is comforted by the causality of logic. It gives the impression of a grand plan and that we may be able to grasp the inner workings of this perfect universe.
You see, his wife had died while giving birth to his son. That is why he was able to forgive. His family was just giving in to the symmetry."
Finally, if Justine touches the angel statue which we can speculate is a vivid representation of her mother, or at least how her father saw her mother, this text appears:
"What was mother like?"
"She was the most beautiful creature ever to grace this world."
"I can't remember what she looked like, no matter how hard I try."
"Her beauty was blinding, Justine. We could never dare to chain such memory to our minds. It would be too much to bear."
- The Crypt and its tunnels were originally supposed to be the area that Daniel from the Dark Descent would be captured in, and have to escape the Shadow from. However, Frictional Games decided to scrap this from the final version of the game, using the Cells instead. The unused Crypt here later featured Amnesia's expansion pack Justine. It can only be speculated that the statue of the Angel here, representing Justine's mother was originally supposed to portray Alexander's "love", the being he longs to be reunited with after being banished from his home-world.
- One of the messages on the wall reads "Liar! Alios does too use dust as a sore muse". The "Alios" mentioned is probably actually "Alois" misspelled. It could possibly even be misconstrued as "Alias" because of the sloppy handwriting.
- It's also one of the few places Justine actually starts losing sanity.
- There are several references to Lovecraft´s works witten on the walls. "Through the gates" and "From beyond it comes" are probably references to Yog-Sothoth, often refered to as the Guardian of the Gates and the Beyond One (both messages are most likely referencing the short story Through the Gates of the Silver Key). "The skinless one" is an avatar of Nyarlathotep, and the pipers could be a reference to the pipers who surround the blind god, Azathoth.
- "The tattered yellow king" is a reference to the King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.
|Locations of Justine|
|Cabinet of Perturbation||Cells • Library • Dungeon • Crypt|
|Other Locations||Florbelle Estate|