|Game||Amnesia: The Dark Descent|
|Danger rating||High risk|
The Cells are a dungeon area located next to the Nave. It is inaccessible from the Nave upon first arriving, and likewise cannot be entered after it is left.
After collecting all six orb fragments, Daniel is captured by three Servant Grunts upon attempting to pass through the Chancel. The Gatherers bring him to the Cells, where he is locked in. After Alexander mocks Daniel, he must free himself before the Shadow has the chance to kill him, and then escape from the area with the guardian in hot pursuit.
There is also a way to end the game here; if Daniel stays in the cell and does not escape, the Shadow will overtake the cell and consume Daniel. Alexander will thank the player and the ending will progress in an identical manner to Alexander's ending in the Orb Chamber.
- There are two ways to escape the cell; you can remove a weak part of the cell bars and use it (or the hammer and chipper) to open a small hole in the brick wall which you can break down to escape. There are two bars that are loose and weak, one located at the upper part of the cell, where you can jump-crouch out of, and below on the bottom right hand corner. After removing one, the latter will trigger script announcing that you should not waste time on it. You can also drag the bed to the cell bars, remove the weak part of the cell bar and jump-crouch through it to get out.
- There are also two ways to get the key. You can either get the bucket of water to flush the key out of the pipe, or you can use the cell bar part on the pipe to get the key.
- It was originally planned that Daniel would be captured and escape from the Shadow in the Crypt instead of the Cells. This was dropped from the final version of the game; however, Frictional Games later used the Crypt for Amnesia's expansion pack Justine.
- The Intelligence of the Grunt can be discussed, since the Grunt left the Cells without destroying the Main Hall exit door, or even hiding the Key to escape the Cells.
- If the Wooden Bucket is picked up the way a barrel or box would normally be, it can be thrown the same way. However, it seems to be cast upward with great force and it then rapidly spins and bounce when coming into contact with a wall or the floor. This may be programmed or a glitch.
- Apparently, a Brute once destroyed the bars of one of the cells and killed the prisoner that was in it. This event can be heard as a flashback if Daniel enters that cell. When the flashback is over, there will be a dead man lying on the bed. The body is probably a hallucination, since it wasn't there before the flashback occured.
- Once the door is unlocked with the obtained key, the Shadow immediately begins to harass the player. Despite the fact that the character is slightly faster than the guardian, it is still advised you escape the cells with haste.
- Once you've reached the stairway leading to the Nave, the guardian gives up, as one can "camp" at the top of the stairs and be unharmed.
| Brennenburg Castle:|
Rainy Hall - Old Archives - Entrance Hall - Archives - Wine Cellar - Laboratory - Refinery - Cellar Archives - Archive Tunnels - Back Hall - Study - Guest Room - Storage - Machine Room - Elevator - Prison: Southern Block - Prison: Northern Block - Cistern Entrance - Cistern - Morgue - Control Room - Sewer - Nave - Cells - Choir Entrance - Choir Main Hall - Transept - Chancel - Inner Sanctum - Orb Chamber
London - Algeria - Altstadt - Tomb of Tin Hinan - Zimmermann Farm