A Servant Brute in the Morgue.
|Gender||Unspecified. Possibly male.|
|Status||Alive / Deceased|
The Servant Brutes are the rarer, more dangerous type of the Gatherers. They deal much more damage than a Servant Grunt and they are able to kill Daniel in one hit, even at full health, making survival harder.
The Servant Brutes are the rarer and more powerful kind of Gatherer of the two types encountered in the game. They can be distinguished from the servant Grunts by their split-head and the large hamstring blade that has been grafted into their left arm, as well as the other plates grafted into their legs and other arm. They wear what appears to be a crudely patched metallic tunic with no leggings; this tunic does not cover the Brute's back side, however.
Brutes are notably more dangerous, given that they can instantly kill Daniel with one attack. They are also slightly faster than Daniel. The Brute looks blind but isn't both in gameplay and lore/story. They make distinctive bellows and groans similar to the sounds emitted from whales or cows. Brutes appear predominantly in the sewer and in the choir, although they do make minor appearances in the chancel and morgue as well. They can also be heard in various parts of the game, but cannot hurt Daniel.
The Brutes have a distinctive brown-green color, unlike the pale white of their Grunt counterparts. They have heads that are split open in an almost floral shape, with teeth lining the inside of the opening along with a single eye. The Brutes wear leg-less, metal tunics and have metal plates and nails that connect their arms and legs at their joints. These plates make metallic scraping noises when the Brute walks. In place of a left forearm they have a metal shaft with an attached blade. This is their primary form of attack and can obliterate doors with it in only two hits and annihilate Daniel in only one. When Daniel is lacerated by one, there will be a long slash mark on the screen, as opposed to the relatively small claw marks caused by Grunts.
Brutes appear in the following locations:
The appearances in the Prison are scripted and not dangerous.
- In the Archives, a Brute can be heard whimpering.
- A brute can also be heard in the Wine Cellar.
- Brute's voices resemble whale sounds, although some of its sounds mimic a bull/cow.
- If the Brute breaks a door, it will enter the room but not too far from the broken door, as compared to the Grunt which will only stay on the entrance of the room after breaking the door before it leaves.
- Brutes are missing the index toe on their left foot.
- Brutes only have one eye which is located in the upper right part of their head.
- Even older Brute concept arts can be seen if you use the Secret code on the .zip file in redist called SuperSecret.
- The brute in the Chancel can sometimes be stared at without losing sanity.
- There is some evidence that the brutes may have been former victims of the Shadow. In one of Daniel's diary notes recovered in the machine room, he mentions that the victims of the Shadow had their heads split open, skin boiled and limbs scattered. This matches the description of the brute. Its head appears split open, and the limbs appear to be reattached by somebody (Alexander?) with metal fixings. Since the Brute's brain is obviously destroyed, it indicates that there may be some sort of supernatural force or spell-casting that causes it to move (akin to a puppet).
- If the theory about Wilhelm and his men being the Gatherers is true, it may be that there is, in fact, only one Brute, who is a sort of leader to the Grunts. If this is also true, it is possible that specific Brute is Wilhelm himself.
- When Daniel enters the Choir, he will sometimes come in and encounter two Brutes at the same time. Whether this is a glitch or intended, it leaves evidence there might be more than one Brute.
- One note found in the Machine Room suggests that Sir William Smith, Professor Taylor and Doctor Tate are also Brutes. In the note, Daniel states: "They're all dead. Limbs scattered, heads split down the middle, their skin flayed as if boiled." This description of the bodies is comparable to the Brute, and it also backs up the theory of there being more than one Brute if the theory of Wilhelm being the only Brute is false.
|Characters (The Dark Descent)|
|Main characters||Daniel • Agrippa • Alexander|
|Monsters||The Shadow • Kaernk • Grunt • Brute|
|Supporting characters||Herbert • Hazel • Johann Weyer|