A Servant Brute in the Morgue.
|Gender||Unspecified. Possibly male.|
|Status||Alive / Deceased|
The Servant Brutes are the rarer, more dangerous type of the Gatherers. They deal much more damage than a Servant Grunt and they are able to kill Daniel in one hit, even at full health, making survival harder.
The Servant Brutes are the rarer and more powerful kind of Gatherer of the two types encountered in the game. They can be distinguished from the Servant Grunts by their split-head and the large hamstring blade that has been grafted into their left arm, as well as the other plates grafted into their legs and other arm. They wear what appears to be a crudely patched metallic tunic with no leggings; this tunic does not cover the Brute's back, however.
Brutes are notably more dangerous, given that they can instantly kill Daniel with one attack. They are also slightly faster than Daniel. The Brute looks blind but isn't both in gameplay and lore/story. They make distinctive bellows and groans similar to the sounds emitted by moose. Brutes appear predominantly in the sewer and in the choir, although they do make minor appearances in the chancel and Morgue as well. They can also be heard in various other parts of the game, but do not yield dangerous entities. Therefore, they cannot harm Daniel, but may reduce his Sanity.
The Servant Brutes have a distinctive brown-green color, unlike the pale white of their Grunt counterparts. They are noticeably thinner than Grunts, as well. They have heads that are split open in an almost floral shape, with teeth lining the inside of the opening along with a single eye hidden far back. It is difficult to see this eye from afar. The Brutes wear leg-less, metal tunics and have metal plates and nails that connect their arms and legs at their joints. These plates make metallic scraping noises when the Brute walks, making it relatively easy to know whether or not he is coming towards you or not. In place of a left forearm they have a metal shaft with a massive attached blade. This is their primary form of attack and can obliterate doors with it in only two hits and annihilate Daniel in only hit if Daniel is at the "A few cuts and bruises" health stage. When Daniel is lacerated by one, there will be a long slash mark on the screen, as opposed to the relatively small claw marks caused by Grunts.
Brutes appear in the following locations:
- Archives (Audible, heard whining)
- Wine Cellar (Audible)
- Prison (Both blocks, visual through a cell door)
- Morgue (First deadly encounter)
- Sewer (hallucination)
The appearances in the Prison are scripted and not dangerous.
Appearances from the Morgue and onward become extremely hazardous.
- In the Archives, a Brute can be heard whimpering.
- A Brute can also be heard in the Wine Cellar, in an attempt to open a locked door. It appears that the Brute is in the next room. As you enter, rock entities will fall from an opening in the ceiling, suggesting the Brute has somehow climbed up this area.
- Brute's voices resemble whale sounds, although some of its sounds mimic a bull/cow. A few sounds are a bit watery-sounding, like some sounds heard while it's guarding the entrance to the Nave.
- If the Brute breaks a door, it will enter the room but not too far from the broken door, as compared to the Grunt which will only stay on the entrance of the room after breaking the door before it leaves.
- In the very early concept art, the Brute portrays as a bloated, headless creature wielding an axe instead of blade.
- Brutes are missing the index toe on their left foot.
- Brutes only have one eye which is located in the upper right part of their head.
- Even older Brute concept arts can be seen if you use the Secret code on the .zip file in redist called SuperSecret.
- The Brute in the Chancel can sometimes be stared at without losing sanity.
- Brutes can be heard in the beginning of the game, but in both Prison Blocks, it can also be seen. It won't be a threat to Daniel until he encounters a Brute in the Morgue. They will be dangerous after that, though the first Brute seen in the Sewer is just a hallucination.
- Unlike a Grunt, the Brute does not look in fright with its hand/and cleaver to its face when it's hearing a noise, it will simply turn around to investigate at once.
- Much like a Grunt, Brutes also seem to have emotions when whimpering/crying, and when attacking Daniel, with much aggression. Unlike Grunts, however, they do not gasp and hold their hand(s) to their mouths before looking around when the player throws an object over to a wall to make a loud noise.
- It is likely that Brutes deal more damage than Grunts because the arm they attack with is a blade, not a claw.
- If Daniel's health is full (100 hitpoints) he can survive only one blow from a Brute. If a Brute does a normal attack, in other words they simply swing their blade while standing in place, they will inflict 66.7 hitpoints of damage on Daniel at maximum depending on how far away from the Brute he is. If a Brute does an aggressive attack, in other words it is running towards Daniel and does a critical strike, it will inflict 100 hitpoints of damage to him, killing him instantly.
- There is some evidence that the Brutes may have been former victims of the Shadow. In one of Daniel's diary notes recovered in the machine room, he mentions that the victims of the Shadow had their heads split open, skin boiled and limbs scattered. This matches the description of the brute. Its head appears split open, and the limbs appear to be reattached by somebody (Alexander?) with metal fixings. Since the Brute's brain is obviously destroyed, it indicates that there may be some sort of supernatural force or spell-casting that causes it to move (The Shadow?).
- If the theory about Wilhelm and his men being The Gatherers is true, it may be that there is, in fact, only one Brute, who is a sort of leader to the Grunts. If this is also true, it is possible that specific Brute is Wilhelm himself.
- When Daniel enters the Choir, he will sometimes come in and encounter two Brutes at the same time. Whether this is a glitch or intended, it leaves evidence there might be more than one Brute.
|Characters (The Dark Descent)|
|Main characters||Daniel • Agrippa • Alexander|
|Monsters||The Shadow • Kaernk • Grunt • Brute|
|Supporting characters||Herbert • Hazel • Johann Weyer • Wilhelm|
|Background characters||Abdullah • Sir William Smith • Professor Taylor • Doctor Tate • Henry Bedloe • Gabriel|