- "There is no shame in using a parasol in the desert. As it happens, it’s imperative to your survival."
- ―Herbert to Daniel right before they're about to head out on their expedition.
In the middle of the room there is a fountain with some disturbing features, the spout being a winged centipede with a baby's face, and a pair of disembodied legs hanging over the edge. After exploration of the side rooms, a small corpse will be resting on top of the legs (in low sanity).
The objective here is to fix the broken elevator so that Daniel can use it to access the Prison. Judging from the high number of important parts the machine powering the elevator is missing, one can assume that the elevator was sabotaged by Alexander to hinder Daniel from reaching the Inner Sanctum.
The Shadow will invade the hall after Daniel finishes exploring the Storage, and along with filling the room with the fleshy residue, it will turn the fountain's water into a red fluid, probably blood. After returning to the Back Hall after repairing the Elevator in the Machine Room, the screen will go black. Daniel's vision is then restored to find that the Shadow has blocked the way back to the Hall, making retreat impossible.
- Two tinderboxes can be found in a chest underneath the stairs.(46 & 47)
- There is a oil container in a chest underneath the stairs.
The Back Hall is a safe room and several sections of Brennenburg Castle can be accessed from here. These locations are:
- Guest Room
- Machine Room - Locked. The key can be found in the Guest Room.
- The Elevator - The machine powering the elevator must be fixed before it can be accessed.
- The music heard in the Back Hall is also known as "Safe Ambient".
- The concept art for the fountain shows that the developers put a lot of thought into the design.
- A similar symbol to The Guild Seal from the 2004 video game Fable by Lionhead Studios can be found on the railing pillars in this room.
|Locations of The Dark Descent:|
|Brennenburg Castle locations:||Rainy Hall • Old Archives • Entrance Hall • Archives • Wine Cellar • Laboratory • Refinery • Cellar Archives • Archive Tunnels • Back Hall • Storage • Guest Room • Study • Machine Room • Elevator • Prison: Southern Block • Prison: Northern Block • Cistern Entrance • Control Room • Cistern • Morgue • Sewer • Nave • Chancel • Transept • Choir Entrance • Choir - Main Hall • Cells • Inner Sanctum • Orb Chamber|
|Other locations:||London • Algeria • Altstadt • Tomb of Tin Hinan • Zimmermann Farm|